Tuesday, July 17, 2007

mid-July already? wow!


Here we are-- Lark and I got a chance to meet Mrs. Muhammed Ali, Lonnie Ali, at the YOPN conference. She was there to kick off a new program for caregivers of those of us with Parkinson's and the search for the cure of PD. It's difficult for me to imagine that he (Muhammed Ali) has had PD now for over 20 years but he has! She was a very inspirational speaker!

Since I've returned home I have begun enjoying my time to myself. I spent a little time shopping and adding to my scrapbooking supplies. I also added to my Jim Shore collection by adding the Palm tree, camel, and drummer boy to the nativity scene that we bought when we first saw it back in 2003 in Fredericksburg. Jim has left this morning for Washington D.C. and will be back on Friday. Today I'm planning on lunching with the bunch from school at Mercado Juarez. It's a "goodbye" party for Margie Anderson--her husband got a job in Phoenix, Arizona, so she is moving there.

I'm continuing to work on my scrapbook from our Caribbean Tour at Spring Break. Just finished (or almost finished) my Retirement reception book. I'll see about posting it to this site...

More later...

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

remind me who Lark is...

Great photo! How cool to meet Mrs. Ali and hear her speak. Tell more about the conference, please.

cturkett said...

Lark is a fellow PWP'er that I met through Dennis Parish. They go to the same church in FT. Worth (Broadway Baptist) and when Dennis found out that she had Parkinson's and was having difficulty adjusting to that diagnosis he got me to talk to her. We hit it off immediately with much in common...she's about 52 or 53, is married to a fireman, retired early on disability from TCU, has two kids--a 21 year old girl and a 14 year old boy. (I know that none of that sounds like we match yet, but she has played the piano for as long as I have and played handbells in her church choir, besides singing in the choir too. She taught history of costumes at TCU and took a group to France each summer before she had to give it up due to the PD symptoms...This was her first time to attend a PD event. We can cry together and laugh together (more of that) a lot! She's considering DBS...her MDS just began working in the same office with mine...

L Caldwell said...

Cheryl,
Introduce me to Carolyn!
Lark