Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Closer and closer...

This morning finds the actual day of our embarkation sneaking up on us and we have about a week and a half before it will be off to Barcelona where we will get on board the Norwegian Jade. There we will find our "mini-suite" that will be our home away from home for the next 3 weeks as we travel first to the Eastern Mediterranean and then to the Western Mediterranean (actually North western Africa (Morocco) and islands beyond that).

While I'm very excited about our trip the most important thing right now is that my mom is having out-patient surgery on Wednesday of this week. I will be her care giver or as I think of it her "watcher outer" and will be staying over at her house at least until the weekend and until she can move around better on her own. She will have the carcinoma that they found from the spot on her right leg (between her knee and her ankle) removed and a small skin graft will be made over it. So she will then be sent home with instructions to not move that leg and it will be in a splint in order to remind her of that!

I'm planning to take our dogs, Buffy and Willow over to her house with me because Jim will be in Washington, DC, during that time. Rather than make James be responsible for the dogs all that time we're gone plus this week and, because I know that Mother will enjoy the two of them sitting in her lap, etc., they are going with me. I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday (just a check up to make sure my stimulators are doing what they should be and will be for the rest of the year while I'm off on the other side of the world).

My brother, Scott, lives with my mom, but works odd hours--from about 3:30 in the am until 2:00 or so in the afternoon. So he's really not a lot of help when it comes to her getting some help. My brother Clay will be there at the hospital too so he can help a little bit that day as much as he can because he, just as Scott does, has to go to work. So, it fell to the "retired" family member (that would be me) to be there the most.

That reminds me of my grandmother with whom I spent the day yesterday. But that's another story...:)

Keep us on your prayer list, please!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

yes, of course, we'll be praying all goes well. I hope your vacation is super relaxing so you can rest after all this stress this week...